- 1 large pumpkin
- 1/2 cup of butter and 1 tablespoon divided
- 1 cup white onion diced up
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp celery seed
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 quarts vegetable stock or broth
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup parsley dried
- 2 cups kale fresh
- 1 cup thick heavy cream
- Cut a lid out of the pumpkin, making sure to cutting around the stem so the ring on the inside of the pulp is smaller than the ring on the outside of the pumpkin. This will make it so the lid won't fall in when it is replaced for baking.
- Remove seeds. (save for roasting)
- Rub the inside of the lid with 1 Tbsp butter.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter and sauté onions in the melted butter until tender.
- Add bread crumbs, flour, and celery seed. Stir until coated and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into a pumpkin.
- Add sausage, grated cheeses, chicken stock, thyme, salt, parsley, and kale.
- Put the lid on the pumpkin and bake on a cookie sheet for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer. Add to contents of pumpkin. Stir well.
- When serving, scrape sides of the pumpkin with the ladle or a spoon so that bits of pumpkin are added to the soup.